2020-2021 Graduate Catalog 
    Aug 14, 2022  
2020-2021 Graduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Academic Policies


Academic Records

Academic records are compiled and maintained in the Registrar’s Office, while student personal records are under the jurisdiction of the Vice President for Academic Affairs.

Graduate Student Transfer Credit Policy

Young Harris College will accept up to six semester hours of equivalent graduate work transferred from institutions credentialed by accredited institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.  International institution credits will be evaluated by the World Education Services evaluations process and the College’s Registrar.

Credit is allowed only for those courses within the previous five years, in which a grade of C or better has been earned.  Only credits are accepted in transfer.  Grades are not transferred and do not affect the student’s cumulative grade point average.  Credit from institutions on a system other than the semester hour system is converted to semester hours. Students receive no more than the number of credits earned at the institutions where courses were taken. The student is responsible for supplying official descriptions of courses and any other supporting information such as course syllabi as requested to determine course transferability.

Transcripts will be evaluated by the Registrar on a course-by-course basis.  Only work comparable to that offered at Young Harris College in level, nature, and discipline will be accepted for degree credit.  Official transcripts must be submitted.

Policies governing transfer credit may vary by graduate program and in some cases be more restrictive than general institutional requirements.

Experiential Learning, Professional Certificates, and Non Credit Work

Young Harris College neither awards nor accepts credit for experiential learning, professional certificates, or non-credit course work.

Definition of a Credit Hour

The Curriculum Committee and the Office of Academic Affairs approve credit hour assignments for courses, programs and other requirements consistent with the credit hour policy. The Office of Academic Affairs, Academic Divisions and Departments, and the Office of the Registrar ensure accurate and reliable application of the College’s credit hour policy and procedures through the monitoring of both class assignments and class implementation.

I. Lecture
The College adheres to the standard definition for one semester-hour credit associated with a class meeting for a 50-minute session once per week for not fewer than 15 weeks, including exam periods, with the expectation that each in-class hour of college work should require two hours of preparation or other outside work.  As such, lecture (face-to-face) classes have 750 classroom minutes and 1,500 minutes of expected out-of-class student engagement for a total of 2,250 minutes of expected academic engagement per credit hour.

II. Activity Supervised as a Group (Laboratory, Music Ensemble)
For activity supervised as a group, one semester-hour credit is awarded for two or three 50-minute periods of laboratory per week, for no fewer than 15 weeks.

III. Physically Active Lifestyle Course (PALS)
For a Physically Active Lifestyle Course, one semester-hour credit is awarded for three 50-minutes periods per week, for half a semester, with the expectation that each in-class hour of college work should require 30-45 minutes of exercise, preparation, or other outside work.

IV. Independent Study and Directed Study
For an independent study and a directed study, one semester-hour credit is awarded for the equivalent of fifteen 50-minute sessions.

V. Applied Music Study
For applied music study (private music instruction), one semester-hour is awarded for a 25-minute period of instruction, for no fewer than 15 weeks, with the expectation that each 25-minute session should require three hours of practice.

VI. Accelerated Course
For an accelerated course (summer, half semester course), credit hours are earned proportionally to those earned for the same activity during a regular term of the College.

VII. Internship
For an internship, one semester-hour is awarded for 40 hours of work.

VIII. Student Teaching
For student teaching, one-semester hour is awarded for 37.5 hours of work.

IX. Online and Hybrid Course
Online courses and hybrid courses have the same number of minutes of expected academic engagement as those courses delivered in an entirely face-to-face manner.

Therefore, whereas a traditional face-to-face class has 750 classroom minutes and 1,500 minutes of expected out-of-class academic engagement per credit hour for a total of 2,250 minutes of academic engagement, an online course also has 2,250 minutes of expected academic engagement per credit hour.

In hybrid courses, the classroom minutes are reduced by either 33% or 50%, and the online/out-of-class academic engagement is increased by the same percentage, as noted in Table 1 below. Students achieve the same learning outcomes regardless of delivery method.

Table 1:  Academic Engagement Time for Three-Credit Lecture and Hybrid Courses


Total number of classroom minutes scheduled per week

Total number of classroom minutes scheduled per term

Minimum total number of minutes of out-of-class student academic engagement expected

Minimum total number of minutes of expected student academic engagement






33% reduced seat time





50% reduced seat time





Students acheive the same learning outcomes regardless of delivery method.

Course Level Policy

  • Remedial Courses

0001-0999             Remedial or basic skills courses

  • Lower-level undergraduate courses primarily for freshmen and sophomores

1000-1999             Primarily introductory and beginning courses

2000-2999             Intermediate-level courses

  • Upper-division undergraduate courses primarily for juniors and seniors

3000-3999             Advanced-intermediate-level courses

4000-4999             Advanced-level courses

  • Graduate Courses

5000-5999             Advanced courses for students who have successfully completed a baccalaureate degree

Student Load

To be a full-time graduate student, one must be enrolled in a minimum of 9 semester hours of academic credit.

Class Attendance Policy and Guidelines

Young Harris College considers the classroom experience to be a vital part of a comprehensive liberal arts experience and essential to academic success. When a student elects to enroll at Young Harris, he or she is responsible for adhering to the class attendance policy of the College.

The College expects that faculty members will establish an attendance policy appropriate to each course and enforce it. The professor’s policy and the penalties to be imposed for violation of the policy should be published in the course syllabus.

It is also the policy of the College that absences will be excused for documented cases of official representation of the College (excuses for official representation of the College should be obtained from the official supervising the activity). However, students should not accrue excessive absences. Students who miss more than fifteen per cent of class sessions, whether such absences were excused or unexcused, may (or may not, at the professor’s discretion) receive a W, WF, or F in the course due to excessive absences. Faculty must make reasonable accommodations to allow students to complete assignments, with the potential of earning full credit, missed due to excused absences for official representation of the College. 

Students have the responsibility to follow each professor’s established attendance policy, to keep a record of their absences, to inform professors of the reasons for absences, and to make up all work missed in their absence. Students who register for a course after the first class meeting should check with the professor regarding their absences and material missed prior to enrollment.

When a student violates the attendance policy set by the professor, the professor may opt to withdraw or fail the student in the class. At that time, the professor notifies in writing both the student and the Vice President for Academic Affairs that the student has been withdrawn from the course. In cases where the excessive absences have been caused by extenuating circumstances, a student who has been withdrawn from a course may appeal the decision of the professor to the Vice President for Academic Affairs. This appeal must be made using the appeal form obtained from the Office of Academic Affairs and must be submitted to the Office of Academic Affairs no later than the class day following the day of notification. During the appeal procedure, the student will continue to attend meetings of the class in question. The decision of the Vice President for Academic Affairs is final.

Grading Policies

Grade Point Average

Grade Point Averages are computed by multiplying the number of grade points by the course credit hours, totaling all grade points earned, and dividing the total number of grade points earned by the total number of semester hours attempted. In this computation, courses in which a grade of “W” is made do not count as hours attempted. Only courses attempted at Young Harris College are included in the College GPA. Grades earned in courses taken at other institutions are not included.

Grade Numerical Value Grade Points per Semester Hour
A 93-100 4.0
A- 90-92 3.7
B+ 87-89 3.3
B 83-86 3.0
B- 80-82 2.7
C+ 77-79 2.3
C 73‐76 2.0
C- 70-72 1.7
D 60‐69 1.0
F Below 60 0.0
P Passing 0.0
NP Not Passing 0.0
I Incomplete (see note) 0.0
W Withdrew 0.0

Grade Reports

Students may access their mid-term and final grades online at YHC Connect. If you wish to have grade reports mailed to you or to any third party, please complete the Student Authorization to Mail Grade Reports form, available in the Registrar’s Office. This authorization will remain in effect for the number of terms specified.


Students who wish to receive a grade of incomplete in a course must obtain an Incomplete Petition Form from the Registrar and have it signed by the appropriate professor and their academic advisor. The incomplete becomes official after signatures have been collected and the card has been returned to the Registrar. This process must be completed no later than the day professors are required to turn in grades for the relevant semester.

Professors may give an incomplete only in cases where (1) the student has documented a serious reason for not completing the course and (2) the student has already completed at least 75% of the work for the course. Within these parameters, the decision of whether or not to grant an incomplete is at the discretion of the professor, and subject to approval by the Dean of the Division in which the course is offered.  In exceptional circumstances, a student may petition the Office of Academic Affairs for a grade of incomplete when less than 75% of the work of the course is completed.

Advisors should discuss with the student the implications of taking an incomplete for their academic standing, including the possibility of probation or suspension, before giving the student permission to request the incomplete.

If the grade of “I” is not removed by mid-term of the following term, it is recorded as an ‘F.’

Incompletes from fall semester must be completed by midterm of spring semester. Incompletes from spring semester must be completed by midterm of the fall semester. However, if any of the incomplete grades are in a course that is a prerequisite to the course being taken the next semester, the incomplete grade must be completed the first week of that semester. Incompletes from the summer semester must be completed by midterm of the fall semester.  Appeals for extensions due to a documented emergency must be submitted to the Office of Academic Affairs.

Repeating Courses

Repeating a course may affect financial aid, athletic eligibility, or veteran’s benefits. For financial aid purposes, a course in which a student has previously received a passing grade may not be used to satisfy the twelve-hour requirement needed to be classified as a full-time student.

Students may repeat a previously completed course. All grades and credit hours will appear on the transcript; however, only the last grade earned will be used in the calculation of the grade point average (GPA). This only applies to courses taken and repeated at Young Harris College.

Academic Standing

Continued enrollment in Young Harris College is a privilege that is granted to a student who is making satisfactory academic progress toward a degree.  A degree-seeking student enrolled at the College is in good academic standing unless placed on academic probation or suspension.

To remain in good academic standing, the graduate student must maintain a specific cumulative grade point average.  To be eligible for graduation, students must be in good academic standing at the completion of their program of study.  Depending upon the discipline, the GPA varies.

Minimum GPA for graduate students:

MAT    2.75

Academic Probation

When a graduate student’s academic level of achievement falls below the program’s minimum cumulative GPA at the end of any semester of enrollment, the student is placed on probation. A student is removed from probation at the end of the term in which the program’s cumulative grade point average is above the required level as specified above.

Academic Suspension

Graduate students are suspended from the College at the end of the semester on probation if the student’s cumulative grade point average does not meet the minimum requirement stated above.

Suspension means a required separation from the College for the fall or spring semester immediately following the semester in which the suspension occurs. Notice of suspension is placed on the student’s permanent academic record. Suspension does not extend the time to make up an incomplete grade.

After suspension, a student must be readmitted to the College through the Registrar’s Office. Students who are readmitted to the College after suspension are admitted on probation and subject to the rules of probation.

Academic Dismissal

Students who are suspended for the second time are academically dismissed from the College and are not eligible for readmission.

Withdrawal from a Course

Students may drop a course with no notation of course enrollment on their transcripts during the published drop/add period at the beginning of each semester or summer session. Dates for the drop/ add period and deadlines for withdrawal without penalty for each semester and summer session are published in the College’s Academic Calendar. Students who wish to withdraw from a course after the drop/add period must contact the Registrar’s Office (registrar@yhc.edu) and the appropriate professor. This process must be completed prior to the last regular class meeting of the course from which the student is withdrawing. Students receive a grade of “W” if they withdraw from a course between the drop/add period and the deadline for withdrawing without penalty. Students who withdraw from a course after the deadline will receive a grade of “W” if they are passing the course or a grade of “WF” if they are failing the course. This policy also applies to students who are withdrawn from a course for excessive absences. Students who are withdrawn from a course for academic dishonesty may receive a grade of “F.”

If a student drops below ten semester hours (six for a summer term), and is a residential student, he or she must have written permission from the Vice President of Student Development to remain living in campus housing facilities.

Withdrawal from the College

A student who wishes to withdraw from the College before the end of the semester must secure a withdrawal form from the Registrar’s Office. The grades of a student who withdraws are recorded as “W” or “WF” according to the policies stated above. If the withdrawal procedure is not followed, all grades will be recorded as “WF.” In the case of an unofficial withdrawal, the last date of attendance will be set at the midpoint of the semester or the last documented date of attendance (whichever is later). The College has a policy to identify unofficial withdrawals with the cooperation of the following departments: Vice President for Academic Affairs Office, Registrar’s Office, Business Office, Financial Aid Office, Library, Retention Office, and Student Development Office. If the date of an unofficial withdrawal is not determined during the academic semester, an audit of students with failing grades at the end of each semester will be done by the Financial Aid Office.

Graduation Exercises

Each master’s degree requires at least 30 semester credit hours.

To earn a master’s degree a student (1) must complete a prescribed degree program with at least a 2.0 grade point average in courses presented for graduation, (2) must complete at least 80 percent of the credit hours required for the degree through instruction offered by Young Haris College, and (3) must file a formal application for graduation and pay the completion fee with the Registrar’s Office no later than the first class day of the semester in which the student intends to graduate. The minimum time in which to complete a master’s degree is four years.

Students completing a master’s degree are strongly encouraged to participate in graduation exercises.

Graduation Exercises

To participate in graduation exercises, a student must have completed all degree requirements.

Graduation Fees

Graduating students will not receive a diploma or a final transcript until all accounts are settled with the Business Office..


Official transcripts are issued upon a student’s request of the Registrar’s Office. The paper request must be signed by the student in order to release the transcript. If the request is made online through National Student Clearinghouse, the request is signed by the validation of the student’s consent form. Official transcripts cannot be faxed to a recipient.

Transcript Request via National Student Clearinghouse

Young Harris College has authorized the National Student Clearinghouse to provide transcript services via the Internet. To order an official transcript log in to National Student Clearinghouse. The instructions on the site explain the order process, delivery options, and fees. You may order as many transcripts as you like in a single session. To insure confidentiality and to comply with federal regulations when using the Clearinghouse, you must provide proof of identity. Alumni and students must complete the “Consent to Release” form. Print and complete the form then fax it to the Clearinghouse for your order to be processed. In addition to offering the convenience of credit card payment, the Clearinghouse keeps you informed about the status of your request.

Transcript Request via Form

(Click here to view the Transcript Request website)

Please provide the following information in your request:

  1. Full name (including all names under which you may have attended)
  2. Handwritten signature (Transcripts will not be released without the student’s signature.)
  3. Complete address and telephone number
  4. Social Security number
  5. Date of birth
  6. Last semester and year of attendance at Young Harris College
  7. Full address for destination of transcript

This completed form may be printed and mailed to the address given below. To facilitate transfer, currently enrolled students may receive free certified copies of their transcripts if requested for scholarships or applications to colleges. There will be a fee in place for students who are no longer enrolled at YHC. Requests for transcripts made via telephone or email cannot be honored. Credit cards are not accepted. Transcripts will not be released until all student accounts and fees have been paid.

Send or deliver your written transcript requests to:

Young Harris College
Registrar’s Office
PO Box 96
Young Harris, GA 30582

Academic Accommodations for Students with Disabilities

Young Harris College is committed to providing an environment in which all students are given a reasonable opportunity to learn and work to their full potential. In compliance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, the College will provide reasonable accommodations for students with known disabilities.

Young Harris College recognizes a student with a disability as anyone who registers with Disability Services which works to ensure that students with disabilities have equal access to all college programs and activities. Advisors collaborate one-on-one with students to establish and implement individualized accommodations as well as strive to remove physical, programmatic, and attitudinal barriers that may prevent equal access to the campus environment and to campus programs.

Students in need of any accommodation due to a disability should register with Disability Services. To register, students must provide a Request for Accommodation form and documentation of the disability in accordance with established documentation guidelines. The Request for Accommodation form and documentation guidelines are available in the ASC, on YHC Connect, or by contacting Disability Services. For more information, for a copy of current policies and procedures, or to schedule an appointment, please contact Disability Services.

Disability Services is located within the Academic Success Center in the Rollins Campus Center and can be contacted at 706-379-5200 or disability@yhc.edu.

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

(Click here to view the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act website)

Notification of Rights Under FERPA The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) allows students access to their educational records and limits the ability of others to access those records, except as authorized by law.

  1. The right to inspect and review the student’s education records within 45 days of the day the College receives a request for access.
    A student should submit a written request to the Registrar that identifies the record(s) the student wishes to inspect. The Registrar’s Office will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the Registrar’s Office, the Registrar will make arrangements for the student to review the requested record(s) at a time and place agreeable to all parties involved. Such arrangements will be scheduled within the allotted time limit. 
  2. The right to request the amendment of the student’s education records that the student believes is inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy rights under FERPA. A student who wishes to ask the College to amend a record should write the College Registrar, clearly identify the part of the record the student wants changed, and specify why it should be changed. If the College decides not to amend the record as requested, the College will notify the student in writing of the decision and the student’s right to a hearing re­garding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing. 
  3. The right to provide written consent before the College discloses personally identifiable information from the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without con­sent. The College discloses education records without a student’s prior written consent under the FERPA exception for disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by the College in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position (including security unit personnel and health staff); a person or company with whom the College has contracted as its agent to provide a service instead of using College employees or officials (such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent); a person serving on the Board of Trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibilities for the College.  
  4. Generally, Young Harris College must have written permission from the student before releasing any information from a student’s educational record. However, the law and Young Harris College policies allow disclosure of records, without consent of the student, to the following:
    • College employees who have a legitimate need to know in the fulfillment of his or her professional responsibility
    • Parents of dependent students as defined by the Internal Revenue Code
    • Persons who need to know in cases of health and safety emergencies
    • Accrediting organizations to carry out accrediting functions
    • Appropriate parties in connection with financial aid to a student
    • Federal, State, and local governmental officials for purposes authorized by law
    • Individuals who have lawfully obtained court orders or subpoenas
    • Organizations conducting educational studies for the College
    • Other schools to which a student is applying or transferring
    • Courts during litigation between the College and the student or parent
    • Alleged victim of crime of violence after final results of a disciplinary hearing
  5. Directory Information
    The College designates the following as public or “Directory Information:”
    • student’s name
    • address (permenant)
    • program of study
    • degree sought
    • expected date of completion of degree requirements and graduation
    • degrees and awards received
    • dates of attendance
    • full or part time enrollment status
    • previous educational agency or institution attended
    • participation in officially recognized activities and sports
    • weight and height of athletic team members and other similar information
    • classification (grade level)
    • email address
    • photograph

Students may restrict the release of “Directory Information,” except to school officials with legitimate educational interests and others as indicated in point #4 above. To do so, a student must make the request in writing to the Registrar’s Office, P.O. Box 96, Young Harris, GA, 30582. Once filed, this request becomes a permanent part of the student’s record until the student instructs the Registrar, in writing, to have the request removed.

  1. Parental/Legal Guardian Rights
    The College will provide grades and access to student education records to parents or legal guardians who certify that the students are financially dependent, as defined in Section 152 of the 1986 Internal Revenue Code. Parents or legal guardians will be required to sign a Release of Information Agreement and follow the procedure detailed in #1.
  2. The right to file a complaint with the US Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the College to comply with the requirements of FERPA.
    In many situations, complaints relative to FERPA can be resolved within the College on an informal basis. Any student who wishes to discuss a FERPA complaint may contact the Vice President for Academic Affairs Office, P.O. Box 242, #1 College Street, Young Harris, GA, 30582. To file a FERPA complaint with the US Department of Education, contact the Office that administers FERPA at:

Family Policy Compliance Office
US Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, S.W.
Washington, DC, 20202-4605

Student Academic Grievances

Young Harris College seeks to establish a caring and just academic community on its campus. Accordingly, the College is committed to fair treatment of its students in their relationships with other members of the College community. Occasionally, however, a student may feel that she/he has been treated unfairly and may seek appropriate action to correct the perceived injustice.

First, the student must meet informally with the party in question and attempt to reach a mutually agreeable solution. If no solution is reached, the student may file a grievance according to the Student Grievances, Complaints, and Appeals Processes published in the Young Harris College Guide to Student Life. Student grievances concerning the academic program of the College must be filed in writing using the form provided in the Office of Academic Affairs.

If a student files a grievance to appeal an automatic withdrawal from a course due to excessive absences, it must be filed no later than the class day following the notification of withdrawal.

If a student wishes to appeal an Honor Code decision, they must do so following the procedures set forth in the Young Harris College Honor Code.

Grade Appeals 

A grade appeal should be a method of last resort. Faculty decisions regarding grading and assessment are not subject to appeal, unless the student can present evidence of substantial and significant mitigating circumstances. Students may appeal only final course grades, not individual assignments, and only when they can present evidence of identifiable and distinct errors in the evaluation process - such as calculation errors, inconsistency with stated grading criteria, and the like - or evidence of arbitrary and capricious grading

Before initiating a formal appeal, the student should first consult with the instructor of record to clarify the rationale for the grade. If the matter cannot be resolved between the student and instructor, or if the instructor is no longer employed by the college, the student may consult the appropriate department chair. The department chair will serve as a mediator and consult with the instructor, either with the student present or separately. The chair will inform the student of the outcome. 

The student may initiate a formal grade appeal only after the department chair has consulted with the instructor and informed the student of the outcome. To initiate a formal appeal, the student must submit a grade appeal form and supporting evidence and explanation to the dean of the division in which the course was taken. The student obtains the grade appeal form from the Office of Academic Affairs. The formal, written appeal must be submitted to the dean by the following deadlines. 

  • Grade appeal for fall semester (any session) - January 25  
  • Grade appeal for spring semester (any session) - June 1
  • Grade appeal for summer semester - September 1  

The dean will review the appealrender a final, binding, and non-appealable decisionand notify the student and instructor. If the dean is the instructor of record, the Provost will conduct the formal appeal. Otherwise, the Provost may only review whether the appeal procedure has been followed. If the dean decides to change the final course grade, he or she will submit a “Change of Grade” form to the Registrar.